July 31, 2010

The '3 E's' and Their Meaning

So I came across this while writing that big paper I talked about in an earlier post. As I was writing about how I would market a baseball team in Portland, Oregon, I talked about how our community relations would need to be top notch. While explaining how our public relations/media relations/and community relations would be top notch I simply wrote three things. The first was, we would need to be willing to go the extra mile, no matter the situation. The second was, we would need to be efficient. The third was, we would need to be excellent.

Think about that for a second. After I wrote that, I was preparing how I would say that during my presentation to the class. I played with different ways to say it, and one thing kept coming back to me. As I really thought about that, I decided those three things were meant for more than just a public relations department. I just kept thinking if I would live my life based on those three things, everything would be fine.

You know, I have really been thinking about this. Just think, if for everything you did in life, you were willing to go the extra mile, you were efficient, and you were excellent, wouldn't you set yourself up for success? In my eyes the answer is yes.

Let's start with a willingness to go the extra mile. If you are willing to do whatever it takes, you will put yourself ahead, I promise you that. Whether it's in sports, your job, or school, I firmly believe if you go the extra mile, you have set yourself up for success.

Now that that is out of the way, let's move on to efficiency. There are many different definitions of efficiency, but I'm going to settle on using this one; skillfulness in avoiding wasted time and effort. So for me, this means if you go the extra mile, while being efficient and not wasting time or effort, you are two up on your competition. Just think what will happen if you don't waste time. That would be incredible in every facet of the word.

Moving on, now we are on excellence. In my opinion, if you go the extra mile, and you're efficient at the same time, you have to be excellent. Efficiency breeds excellence. When you are excellent, you are successful. Look at Rob Dyrdek, Travis Pastrana, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerburg, Warren Buffett, and Bill Gates. All of them are excellent in their own entity. I'll say it again, efficiency breeds excellence, which ultimately breeds success.

Call them what you want, the '3 E's' are what you need to follow to get you to where you want to be. That's really all I have for this one. I don't think I'll update for at least a week because I have a busy week coming up, so hopefully there is enough here to last.

I'll end it with a quote...

"Desire is the key to motivation, but its determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal- a commitment to excellence- that will enable you to attain the success you seek."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger